Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saltwater


So, had a few trials and tribulations but everything is doing pretty good. The yellow goby has fattened up and cured himself of ick last week, he is a strong little fellow, I of course almost had a heart attack when I saw those four little dots.

All the original hermit crabs and snails and emerald crabs died, I suspect it was a combination of starving to death along with an immature tank although there is no way to know for certain because my water was testing fine.

I started to add essential elements by kent and have upped the calcium significantly. I estimate I'm putting in about 1/4 of a teaspoon 4 times a week. I had to add more saltwater plants because the others melted, I suspect it was a lack of iodide, which the essential elements should be helping with.

I have since added another emerald crab, a feather duster (who fell into the rocks and disappeared, I have no way to know if he is still kicking), two scarlet reef crabs, a blue legged crab, and 2 snails, margarita and the little one with the snorkle.

All my red brown algea that was lightly covering everything has disappeared and the rocks are turning some amazing colors.

All in all, I don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I'm apparently doing something right.

No comments: